2.21.2007

Call to Action

Disease prevention was one of the topics I was considering for this assignment. I've been scrolling through page after page of preventive diseases, and despite being a smoker, it amazes me how little effort one really needs to make in order to avoid a number of life-altering, life-threatening and just really gross diseases! I am assumed to carry the genetic predisposition for breast cancer. My mom has had it twice (even AFTER a bilateral mastectomy, so yes, you do need to keep getting examined), both of my grandmothers, my aunt died from it, several cousins...you get the picture. Many many many many dead relatives, and a few survivors.
But now we know we could get tested and find out if we do have the gene that ensures our disease-carrying skills (between that, and my dad's wonderful genetic handout of being highly cystic - i got MAD SKILLZ), not that it is a remedy, just an early warning.
But there are other diseases that can be prevented, and the following ad provides a call to action to lead a healthier life, visit their website, and not die. Brought to you by the trifeckta of common diseases: Heart Disease, Cancer and Diabetes:

2 comments:

Jared said...

Pretty amazing how advertising mimics society. As society is desensitized, ads become more poignant and direct. The Ad Council (who you have outlined in your post) is a great example of this.

Kerry said...

I saw this ad and thought it was pretty powerful as well. Unfortunately cancer has taken the lives of many members of my family also. It's so important to have more awareness out there for the warning signs with ads like this one.

Creative Commons License
This workis licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.