3.27.2007

Family Holidays

I feel I may need to attach a flow chart later to explain this, but I hate, hate, HATE family holidays. I wasn't a big fan when my parents were still married, but since they've gotten divorced, and remarried/re-partnered, every frickin' holiday has the same divisive tendencies.... and now its gotten worse. I always have to divide one-day holidays into two drop-ins... one visit to my mom's side, one to my dad's... never eating, always getting to one before dinner, and one after dessert...
My father, since his non-Jewish step-family wasn't invited to his mother's Passover Seder, has boycotted, creating an additional option in my already convoluted holiday planning. He is having his own seder, despite the non-Jewish step-family not having an interest in attending. So it will be my step-monster, my dad, their next door neighbors who are Jewish and have a 6 year old and a 6 month old, my non-Jewish boyfriend, and me (who is now thinking of becoming less than a secular Jew, and creating a non-holiday having religion... Jillism, perhaps... no holidays, one law - don't harm others).
I have not actually eaten at a holiday dinner in 10 years, and this is shaping up to be the same.
So Passover being a 2-night holiday, you would think it would work out? Not anymore... thanks dad.
P.S. The end result is 1st night = dad's for seder, dad's extended family for yeast-free desserts 2nd night = mom's best friends for seder, mom's other friend's for yeast-free desserts...
P.P.S. The boyfriend's step-mom is Jewish, and despite no invite this year, I have a feeling we may be at their seder next year.
See y'all on Saturday... my last brief moments of no family. Ahhh. Oh, and don't forget your scissors!!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This workis licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.